Saturday 12 September 2009

First Week at Uni

On Monday (07-09-09) night me, dad and my two carers stuffed me and everything into my van and left to move into my accommodation at uni. Sadly, we left quite late from home at about 22:30 and arrived at 00:30, as we had some unforeseen troubles.

When we arrived, dad got out to find out where my room was going to be. Ten minutes later, he came back and said we had to drive around the other side of the uni where the porter’s lodge and my room was. As dad was taking some of my stuff into my room and I was getting out of the van w/ my carers, two fit girls looking like they’ve just come from a party walked up to me and asked if I’m moving in. How did they guess? Possibly, by the giant suitcase I had. I replied yes (trying not be sarcastic or say something stupid in front of them) and then walked off as they said, “Welcome to Surrey! We’ll see you tomorrow…” Indeed, I thought to myself. Nevertheless, by the time we put everything into my room and I finally got to bed it was like 02:30; and that night it was bloody freezing, but I couldn’t turn the heater on b/c it started smelling when I did, so I switched it off.

Promptly at 07:30 that morning (Tuesday, 8 September), an alarm started sounding very loudly and scared the hell out of me, as I suddenly woke up. It was the damn fire alarm! Brilliant. So, my dad and my carers quickly got me into my wheelchair, tossed the duvet on me and manually pushed me outside as I was so cold and in no state to drive myself. A few minutes later, the Estate Manager said it was just a fire drill and that I could back to my room, which after that it was really difficult to sleep anymore.

That being said, since I’m very tired I will just give you a quick breakdown of this week’s happenings:
Tuesday (8 September): In the morning, I met w/ the Disability Advisor and my new Learning Support Assistant (LSA) / note-taker, who is lovely and very experience as an LSA. Also, in the afternoon, my LSA and I met w/ my course tutor (the great guy who interviewed me and offered me a place) and course leader. After chatting for a bit, course tutor took us on a tour of where all my classes will be. It was fantastic!
Wednesday (9 September): Just took it easy. Dad and Sarah visited too, which was nice. Also, that night I watched England’s FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Croatia in the Student Union bar. Excellent game w/ a 5-1 win to England!
Thursday (10 September): From 11:00-15:00, I met w/ my LSA to show her how to use my computer and other DSA equipment. About 16:00, I then went for a walk into Farnham town centre, which is just breathtaking w/ every kind of shop you could ever need…
And Friday (10 September): Got up quite late and went for a walk around campus. Set off back for home around 15:30 and got home at 19:00 b/c all the motorways were completely blocked b/c there were so many accidents, but thankfully I got home okay.

Overall, I utterly love UCA Farnham and it’s such an amazing place! I cannot wait until freshers’ week next week and to get started on the course…

2 comments:

Alexandra - MDC said...

Hi Sulaiman!

Great to hear all about your first week at Uni, and really pleased you've settled in well!

Have a great Freshers' Week!

Alexandra

kamala said...

this site is very useful and a important site.